Tuesday, February 23, 2010

One of the most important decisions which we make in our life is selection of our professional career. Ideally a detailed thought process needs to have gone through before we arrive at our choice. But in most of the cases this decision is made with some other factors influencing it. And these factors has nothing to do with the actual liking of the person involved. Let me illustrate this with my own example.
I am a numbers man. I like numbers and like to involve in statistics of any data. But it took me long time to realize this factor. How long? Till I almost completed post graduation in civil engineering! And what were factors which made me join civil engineering? My elder brother was not happy with his private engineering college and my parents were not ready to send me outstation for studies. As a result my scope was restricted to government engineering colleges in Mumbai. And with my PCM score of 281, I managed Civil Engineering in SPCE.
The important lesson to learn is that one need to put some efforts to identify a suitable career for him / her. The professional curriculum is different from the one till 12th standard. One needs to have real interest in the subject to succeed. Otherwise you end up being counted as 'also - ran'.
In my next blog I will cover my experiences in Engineering college and things which I could have done in better ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment