Thursday, February 25, 2010

The biggest dilemma which I faced during later stages of Engineering days was that I was not sure whether I really wanted to continue with Civil. The core civil engineering subjects never created any passion in me. But still I thought I should give Civil Engineering a chance and joined post graduation. In post graduation, it was all about structural concepts and mathematics. To use these concepts, you need to work with really big firm. There was no point in completing post graduation and working with firm which deals with routine concrete buildings and still plants. But this is what I was doing for 7-8 months after my post graduation. I was seeing the benefits of my brother's advice of completing the graduation from engineering college as I never experienced difficulty in getting jobs with good civil engineering firms. But was I enjoying my job? The answer was no without any doubt. But still I was never able to make decision on my own to quit civil engineering field. The pressure of settling down with job and eventually getting married was started building up.
But there were series of activities including tough times faced by Chemtex during 1997 south - east Asia economy crash and then my joining Mahindra Acres. Mahindra Acres was third firm which I had joined in last 8 months. Again as I was not enjoying my job, I received call from my friend with whom I had spoken with for months. At the end of conversation, it casually mentioned about Syntel looking for post graduate from any branch. Without thinking twice I went for its interview and got selected. Without knowing anything about IT industry, I was about to join it.
At the beginning of your career, you can take few risks as your responsibilities are lesser. There will be decisions in your life which you take without being able to justify them but then at times you have to go by your heart. There is major part of your life which you end up living trying to meet expectations from society but there is that smaller part of your life which you have lived listening to your heart. It is this part of life which will give you satisfaction when you sit back on an evening during later stages of life and rewind into journey of your life till date.

No comments:

Post a Comment